Naha Airport is in Naha, Okinawa, Japan. In Okinawa a car is practically essential, so most passengers arriving at Naha Airport take advantage of the opportunity to pick-up a vehicle at the airport. Read on to learn more about renting a car and the many places to visit in Japan.
Renting a Car in Okinawa
The options and regulations for renting a car at Naha Airport are a bit different from other tourist destinations throughout the world. Some of the rental companies are less known than agencies at other airports. Here are a few of the rental agencies available at the airport.
- Toyota Rent a Car
- Orix Car Rental
- J Net Rental Car
- Times Car Rental
There are several others as well. All companies servicing Naha Airport offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Car rental counters are across from the arrival gates for Japan Airlines and Nippon Airways on the first floor of the domestic terminal building. The car rental desks are open until 8:00 p.m., so renters arriving later need to make other transportation arrangements for the evening and return in the morning.
Rules for Renting a Car and Driving in Okinawa
Rules for driving in Japan are different from most countries. Drivers with a licence from a country that is a member of the 1949 Geneva Convention, can drive in Japan with an international driver's permit (IDP). Drivers from Germany, France, Slovenia, Monaco, Belgium, Taiwan, or Switzerland may drive in the country with an official Japanese translation of the home country licence.
In addition to the licencing laws, there are some other important things drivers should know before hitting the streets of Okinawa. Here is some key information for rental drivers.
- Driving is on the left side of the road.
- All speed limits are in km/h.
- Parking is limited and fines are hefty.
- Children must sit in safety restraint seats.
- All vehicle occupants must wear seat belts.
- Drinking and driving under the influence is strictly punished.
- Most of the main roads used in Japan are toll roads.
- There is almost always traffic and roads are slick when wet.
- Drivers must carry a standard driver's licence and the IDP.
Places to See in Okinawa
There are some amazing places to see on the Okinawa Islands of Japan. Renting a car is a great way to see as many as possible. Here are a few key places to see in Okinawa.
- Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium is massive and home to sharks, octopus, dolphins, and more. Plus, the aquarium offers visitors views of the glistening sapphire and turquoise ocean below. It is an hour and 34 minutes (93.7 km) from the Naha Airport via Okinawa Expressway.
- The Shuri Castle is one of the most influential tourist destinations in Japan. The UNESCO World Heritage Site is 23 minutes (9.5 km) from Naha Airport.
- Okinawa Prefectural Museum offers tourists natural science, culture, and art exhibits. The museum is 18 minutes (7.0 km) from the airport.
With so many great places to see in Okinawa, renting a car is a must! Nearly every part of the islands offers inspiring views. Renting a car makes it easier to see the many vantage points in the area.