When is Family Day 2019?
Family Day is celebrated in the majority of provinces across Canada, giving families an opportunity to spend the day having fun together! This Canadian holiday always lands on the third Monday of February, which means this year Family Day 2019 will be on February 18, 2019. A lot of the Family Day celebrations and events will also be happening over the weekend before Family Day, so you still get to enjoy this oh-so Canadian holiday without worrying about work!
Is Family Day a holiday in Canada?
Family Day is not a national statutory holiday, so make sure to check if your work is closed before planning to spend the day at the many organized winter activities. If you don’t get the time off, there are plenty of activities you can still do throughout the entire Family Day weekend.
Where is Family Day celebrated in Canada?
The provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, British Columbia, and New Brunswick celebrate Family Day every year.
On the same day, PEI celebrates Islander Day, Manitoba celebrates Louis Riel Day, and Nova Scotia celebrates their Heritage Day.
Yukon has their own Heritage Day in February, but it is celebrated on a different day. It lands on the Friday before the last Sunday of February.
Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut do not have an equivalent day (sorry, guys!)
What To Do on Family Day 2019:
Go to the Arts Festival in Banff or go ice-skating in Edmonton
In 1990, Alberta decided to host the very first Family Day! The day off work is meant to provide workers with an extra opportunity to spend time with their families. And this they’ve got none other than Canadian music legend Fred Penner to perform this year! So head to the Studio Bell and indulge in some good ol’ nostalgia.
- Sing along with Fred Penner in Calgary at the Studio Bell Family Day.
- In Banff, there is a two-day event at the Family Winter Arts Festival where people can enjoy live shows and several activities, including drawing classes and a free public swim during Family Day weekend.
- Edmonton really promotes spending time with your family, so they’ve put together a bunch of Family Day activities that include unique events at the Edmonton Arts Council, the Alberta Legislature, the Art Gallery of Alberta, the Edmonton Valley Zoo, the Reuse Centre, and several outdoor ice rinks.
Attend the skating party in Saskatoon or go on a sleigh ride
Saskatchewan started celebrating Family Day in 2007 to join its neighbouring province in promoting more family time.
- Saskatoon has a ton of activities for Family Day 2019! Head to the Neighbourhood Church for a free event with carnival games, bouncy castles, and food trucks. You can also enjoy the Cameco Family Day Skating Party at the Meewasin Skating Rink, where there will be skating, sleigh rides, and face painting.
Go to the LunarFest in Mississauga or the WinterRouge in Markham, Ontario for Family Day 2019
Ontario started celebrating Family Day in 2008 and every year there are events held throughout the province. Here’s an outline for Family Day weekend in Ontario:
- Aurora’s Arctic Adventure takes place in Aurora Town Park with ice carving, outdoor skating, mini snow tubing, and more outdoor activities.
- In Mississauga, you can bring your family through the Tunnel of Blessings at the Living Arts Centre as part of LunarFest.
- In Markham, head to WinterRouge, a family-friendly day filled with winter activities in Rouge National Urban Park. Alternatively, there is a painting party at the Winged Canvas Art Hub in Markham.
- Ajax has their own Family Day Winterfest, where families can make s’mores, enjoy live entertainment, and go for a free swim at the McLean Community Centre.
- In London, enjoy an indoor drive-in movie with a DIY cardboard box car at the Laurie Hawkins Public School.
- In North York, attend the first DUKE on Ice Family Winterfest with food, music, and ice-skating.
Take a nature walk in Surrey, B.C. or have a pancake breakfast in Burnaby
British Columbia started celebrating Family Day in 2013. Usually, B.C. celebrates the day on the second Monday of February, but for the first time ever, it is being moved to the third Monday. This means Family Day 2019 in B.C. will match up with the other provinces that celebrate Family Day.
- In Surrey, there are plenty of activities including nature walks at the Surrey Nature Centre, heritage demonstrations at the Historic Stewart Farm, and board games at the Museum of Surrey.
- In Burnaby, start the morning with a pancake breakfast, face painting, crafts, and ice skating at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre.
- There are plenty of events in Vancouver, including free Family Day activities at the Marpole Community Centre and the Trout Lake Community Centre.
Head outdoors and go cross-country skiing in New Brunswick for Family Day 2019
New Brunswick celebrated Family Day for the first time in 2018! It was a day filled with outdoor activities like dog sledding, ice fishing, cross-country skiing and ice skating.
- In Fredericton, head to the Beaverbrook Art Gallery on February 17 for a Family Art Day. It’s free admission with free tours and workshops.
- Snag a free rental for some winter fun at the Mactaquac Provincial Park. You can go skiing, skating, snowshoeing or participate in a sleigh ride.
- Head to the YMCA of Fredericton for their annual free Family Fun Day.
Want to enjoy the best Family Day 2019 activities? Head to our search engine to find hotel deals and car rental deals to make your family-filled day even better!
If you aren’t able to celebrate this year, check out some of our family vacation ideas:
- Best Caribbean Beach Vacations for Families
- Winter Sun Deals for Your Next Family Vacation
- Places to Travel with Kids in Canada