Detroit's location is convenient to one of the most populous areas in the world, and it's airport is built and designed to handle a heavy schedule of both domestic and international flights. Located just across the border from Canadian cities like Windsor, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) can be used as an alternative transportation point for those both north and south of the border. Detroit itself has a lot to offer for travelers, as this city has a long and rich history that is just now being rediscovered. Cast aside any rumors or negative stereotypes you have about big American cities and experience some great things about big, bustling Detroit, on the scenic shores of Lake Huron.
Best Time to Book a Flight To Detroit Wayne County Airport
DTW is busy and big enough to have ample choice for flights at any time of the year. However, activities in the region vary depending on the season. Your motives for visiting Detroit will have more impact on your planning than the prices themselves. Michigan is ideal for outdoor activities, especially anything involving lakes and forests. Nightlife and dining are always available, but Detroit's famous food trucks and micro breweries are easier to visit in warmer months. Summer is the time of festivals and special events, such as the Fourth of July and the Renaissance Festival.
Airlines that fly to Detroit Wayne County Airport
DTW is a medium sized airport that hosts plenty of national and global players. National airlines dominate the roster, but there are several Canadian carriers and even a few from across the pond.
- Delta Airlines has a hub at DTW, and dominates the field here when it comes to choices between routes, flights, and destinations. That includes several Canadian cities.
- Spirit Airlines also uses this airport as a hub, and although they don't fly to Canadian cities from DTW, they do fly to several seasonal holiday destinations that Canadians enjoy.
- Air Canada Express flies from Toronto to Detroit on a regular schedule.
- European airlines at DTW include national carriers like Air France and Lufthansa if you're coming from France or Germany.
What to expect when arriving at Detroit Wayne County Airport
There are two separate terminals at DTW , North and MacNamara. SkyTeam and its affiliate airlines operate out of McNamara, with all others using the North Terminal. Most of the amenities at the airport, like shopping and dining, are located behind security. If you're arriving on an international flight, your visit to the airport will also include passing through customs and immigration, which includes US pre-border clearance options. Connecting passengers have to go through security to change terminals before catching their next flight, which would also include a shuttle ride, so be sure to plan accordingly.
What to see and do in Detroit.
Nicknamed the Comeback City, Detroit has experienced a profound revitalization in the past decade. The green spaces have been restored, the foodie culture is up and running, and historic buildings have been renovated and preserved. Here are some inspirational ideas for making memories in
- Fireworks. This isn't just about the Fourth of July show, but also includes the several displays that lead up to it. Starting in in the middle of June and culminating in July, fireworks are featured in various festivals at least once a week.
- Ford History. Once upon a time, this was the center of automobile manufacturing in the United States, and the Henry Ford Museum and Edsel and Eleanor Ford house preserve this bygone era.
- Motown. Also playfully nicknamed Hitsville USA, the famous Studio A that recorded famous artists like The Temptations and Marvin Gaye has been converted into a museum.
- Belle Isle Park. Get out of downtown and enjoy some greenery and local history. This park encompasses almost a thousand acres and includes an aquarium, zoo, conservatory, and a museum dedicated to the Great Lakes.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Detroit Wayne County
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.