Welcome to the Republic of Guinea, a rapidly expanding and developing country in western Africa. Its capital city is Conakry, and that’s where you’ll find Conakry International Airport (CKY), also known as Gbessia International Airport, the country's main transportation hub. The history of the country includes a period of French colonialism, The scenic location of the capital city on the Atlantic Ocean is an ideal vacation destination for those that are wise about staying off the beaten path. Travel and tourism is rapidly expanding in this region, so if you want to take advantage of a place that is relatively quiet, inexpensive, and pristine, it’s best to visit soon.
Airlines that fly to Conakry Airport
This is a small airport that is home to a total of eleven airlines based in the Middle East, Europe and the African continent. Canadian airlines can take you part of the way there, often with a stop in Europe, before you connect with an airline that can take you to Conakry. Flights leave from Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. This is a long flight, requiring from 25 to 30 hours of travel time, and each route has at least two stops.
- Royal Air Maroc, the official airline of Morocco, teams up with Canadian Westjet or Air Transat to serve this route with stops in London and Casablanca.
- KLM, the Dutch airline notorious for its global reach, takes you to CKY with help from Air France and Delta.
- Westjet Encore, the international wing of Canada’s favorite domestic airline, serves this route with the help of Emirates, with stops in Boston and Dubai.
Although extensive renovations are planned and ongoing, currently this airport is low-tech, to say the least. There’s no radar here and all planes land using sight, which means that night landings are rather precarious. Passengers might be required to walk or take a bus across the tarmac to the terminal for many flights, as the walkways are still being constructed.
What to see and do in Conakry
Guinea is classified as a tropical monsoon region, which means there are distinct wet and dry seasons. If your visit is focused on outdoor activities, it’s best to visit during the winter, specifically December to April, when precipitation is low. Temperatures stay pleasantly warm year round, always hovering around 30C. The most popular attractions here focus on history, culture, and natural wonders.
- Grand Mosquée, or the Grand Mosque, is the fourth largest mosque on the continent. It has two floors, one for men and another for women, and can hold up to 12,500 people.
- Mount Nimba is the highest mountain in the region at almost 2000 meters. Visitors must have a guide and the proper permits to make the 4-hour trek to the summit.
- Cape Varga is where the beachcombers congregate. There are several different beaches along this stretch, from the most pristine and untouched to others with shopping, equipment rentals, and other amenities.
- Fouta Djallon is a vast natural preserve that includes grasslands, canyons, mountains, waterfalls, and unique sandstone formations.
Flexible where you fly? Search nearby airports for bigger savings.
Airports near Conakry
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.