Cheap Flights to Republic of the Congo
Flights to Republic of the Congo
Travelling to Congo from Canada means arriving into the Maya-Maya Airport (BZV) in the capital city of Brazzaville, or the Antonio Agostinho Neto International Airport (PNR) in coastal Pointe Noire. Skyscanner's booking engine can help you find the cheapest fare to either airport, as well as the most efficient routing. The Route Map feature comes in handy. Take care of your hotel and car rental and your reservation is complete.
What to Do in Congo
Congo is known for its magnificent wildlife and scenery that simply mesmerizes the senses. Virunga, the oldest national park in Africa, is home to the endangered mountain gorilla and chimpanzees. Tours out of the city of Goma are available, both to do wildlife watching, and for the adventurous, a climb to the top of Nyiragongo Volcano. Just a few kilometres from the centre of Brazzaville, the nation's capital, are Les Rapides, white water rapids on the Congo River. A taxi ride to the Site Touristique Les Rapides, a bar overlooking the rapids, runs about $5.00 CAD. The French-flavoured Basilique Sainte-Anne is worth a look, as is the Ecole de Peinture de Poto-Poto, a school for artists. It's a great place to find an authentic souvenir.
Airports in Congo
- The Maya Maya International Airport is less than four kilometres from the Brazzaville city centre. Flights from Montreal, Canada, are available on Air Canada, which code shares with Ethiopian Airlines, and Lufthansa, which code shares with Brussels Airlines, ASKY Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines. A code share is when you book your flight on one carrier but fly one or more legs on a partner airline. Maya Maya is a one-terminal airport with limited services but it does have Wi-Fi in the Salon Ebene Lounge. A car rental desk is outside baggage claim on the ground floor, as are taxi stands. Taxi rates are usually negotiated. Hotels often provide shuttle service into town for guests.
- The Antonio Agostinho Neto International Airport is only three kilometres from the Atlantic coastal city of Pointe Noire. From Canada, you can fly from Montreal or Toronto, using the same carriers as flying into Maya Maya. Toronto also offers air service on Air France, Delta and KLM. This is small one-terminal airport with similar passenger services as at Maya Maya, but it has no Wi-Fi access.
- Currency in Congo is the Congolese Franc. Both airports are small, with limited passenger services so it's best to get some local cash either before you leave home or at a connecting airport. Many services, such as taxis, only take cash. French is the official language.
- Canadians do need a visa and a valid passport to visit the Congolese Republic. The visa must be obtained before your arrival in Congo. Tourist visas are good for up to 90 days and allow for multiple entries. Suggested vaccines to get before your trip include Hepatitis A and B, a flu shot and a rabies vaccine. Check with your doctor.
- Car rentals, or car hire as the locals say, are available as long as you have an International Driving Permit. Both petrol (gas) and diesel cars are offered, many with manual shift. If you prefer an automatic car, be sure and book your rental before you arrive.
- Congo has wet seasons and dry seasons. Wet season runs from October to December, with a shorter rainy spell in March and April. The dry seasons are from May through September and again in January and February. The country averages 2,000 millimetres of rain each year. Congo straddles the Equator, so temperatures are fairly steady year round. Days average 24 degrees Celsius, while nights are usually in the 17 to 20 degrees Celsius range. The main difference is the humidity, much more pronounced in the rainy seasons.
- Plan to dress in layers, and don't forget that waterproof jacket, no matter when you go. Light weight, fast drying fabrics work best. If you're going on a safari or exploring one of he national parks, wear long sleeved tops and long pants to protect against mosquitoes. Don't forget a sun hat. Wear comfortable but sturdy footwear. In town, modest casual wear is good for an evening out.
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.