Venice, Italy is a dream destination for many travellers. Driving in the City of Love itself is prohibited; all travel is by way of the famous canals. Visitors can still benefit from renting a cheap economy car or even an affordable luxury sedan from Marco Polo Airport to get where they need to go in the general area.
Car Rental Choices in Venice
Visitors arriving at Venice Marco Polo Airport have many rental company options and vehicle choices. All of the major brands offer mini to luxury (premium) auto rentals. Some major car rental agencies at Venice Marco Polo Airport are:
- Win Rent
Rental lots and offices are on the third-floor terrace of multilevel parking structure P1. Renters need to look over company policies very carefully. Although similar, each company has different policies for the items below:
- Pickup and drop-off locations
- Fuel refill
- Additional drivers
Additionally, renters must have the following documentation when picking up a rental:
- Reservation confirmation
- Driver's license (Italian, EU, or International)
- Insurance documentation
- A credit card in the main driver's name
- Other documents specified at booking
To return a vehicle, travellers must follow the signs to enter the standard entry gate of P1 parking. A ticket is given at the first-floor entrance. Renters then take the ticket to the third-floor to the vehicle return site.
Information for Driving a Rental "Around" Venice, Italy
The term "driving around" is literal in Venice. Due to Venice's unique construction, tourists need to know some important information. Parking is extremely important, as all Venice visitors arriving by car must park in one of the parking structures outside the city. The parking structures available are below:
- Piazzale Roma — 16 minutes (12.8 km) from Marco Polo Airport via SS14 and Strada Regionale 11 Padana Superiore. The rate for 24 hours is CA$46.78.
- Garage Europa — 12 minutes (9.1 km) from Venice airport. The rate is CA$21.93 per day (24 hrs).
- Venezia Tronchetto Parking — 15 minutes (12.9 km) from the airport. The 24-hour rate is CA$30.70.
Things to do with a rental car in Venice
Venice is a quaint city built atop dozens of islands. There are a number of squares, like Santa Margherita, which offer shopping, restaturants, and bars. There are also many landmarks and historic sites. Some of the great attractions in the area are:
- Saint Mark's Basilica - The final resting place of Saint Mark, this ecclesiastical building was consecrated in 832 AD and lies just 14 minutes (12.6 km) from Marco Polo Airport via SS14.
- Teatro La Fenice or Theater of the Phoenix has nearly burned down twice but has risen from the ashes each time as one of Italy's premiere opera houses. The theater is 46 minutes (16.6 km) from the airport via SS14.
- Doge's Palace is a massive palace filled with secret passages, mystery, and rich history. It is located 22 minutes (14.2 km) from Marco Polo Airport.
- Arqua Petrarca, in the Italian province of Padua, is a 51-minute (68.1 km) drive from the airport via A13. The tiny town, founded with a small castle, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
These are just a few of many places to visit. Following these tips helps save time and money, so tourists can uncover more of the secrets the ancient city is keeping.