Tunis-Carthage Airport is the international airport of Tunisia. Located in Tunis, the sprawling capital of Tunisia, the airport is a great place to rent a vehicle. Plus, renting a vehicle upon arrival is a great way to start a vacation to this Mediterranean destination.
Renting a Cheap Economy or Affordable Luxury Car
Tunis Airport, also called Carthage International Airport, is 16 minutes (14.4 km) from Carthage. Renting a car at the airport is recommended for visitors wanting to make the most of a trip to the area. The main rental agencies are Budget, AVIS, Sixt, and Hertz. Renters have all the standard vehicle options that are usually available in larger cities, but mini and economy rentals are usually the most affordable.
Visitors will find pre-booking a rental via Skyscanner to be the easiest way to make sure the agency has the correct vehicle available for pick-up. In addition to booking in advance, renters must be older than 21 and present the following documents:
- International Driver's Licence
- Valid Driver's Licence from home country
- Insurance certificates
- Any other items requested during booking
In addition, each company has different policies on refueling the vehicle, driver age, insurance, pickup/drop-off locations, tolls, and documentation. All renters should ask for the policies and become familiar with the road laws before driving in Tunisia.
Important Driver Information in Tunisia
Visiting the country is an amazing experience, but there are some important things to note when driving in Tunisia. Travellers going into the desert should top off the tank, bring extra water, a GPS, and let others know about travel plans. Other beneficial information is below:
- Seat belts are mandatory for all vehicle occupants.
- As a Muslim country, Tunisia prohibits drinking and driving.
- Speed limits are 50 kph in town, 90 kph on open roads, and 110 kph on motorways.
- Children under 12 years old may not ride in the front, and children under 7 years old must be in a proper child restraint seat.
- Third-party insurance is necessary and should always be present with drivers.
- Traffic on the right has the right of way.
- A1, A2, A3, and A4 motorways are all toll roads.
Places to See in Tunisia
Tunisia offers travellers a view of many ancient historical sites. Plus, the small Mediterranean country has sprawling mountain ranges and beautiful beaches, which attract many tourists each year. Below are a few of the remarkable places to visit on a trip to Tunisia:
- Bardo National Museum, one of the largest museums in North Africa, has the largest collection of Roman mosaics in the world. The museum is 15 minutes (11.6 km) from the airport via Boulevard Mohamed Bouazizi.
- Ez-Zitouna Mosque or Ezzitouna Mosque is the oldest mosque in Tunis. Built in 698 AD the site is 21 minutes (13.4 km) from Tunis-Carthage Airport via Boulevard Mohamed Bouazizi.
- The Baths of Antoninus or Baths of Carthage are the largest built by the Romans. The site is an 18-minute (14.5 km) drive from Tunis-Carthage Airport.
There are many more places to see. Renting a car and following these tips will help tourists get to all the must-see sites and help make the trip to Tunisia memorable.