London Stansted Airport services more than 24 million passengers each year, making it the 4th busiest airport in the UK. Renting a car upon arrival at the airport is easy and tourists wanting to make the most of a trip to the area benefit from having private transportation.
Renting A Cheap Luxury Or Economy Car
The airport offers ten well-known international rental car companies and can accommodate luxury and economy rentals. All of the on-site companies are in the Car Rental Village. Dedicated buses take passengers to the rental village every 10 minutes. The shuttle pickup is at the terminal forecourt.
Mini and economy cars are typically the most affordable in terms of rental rates and petrol. However, renters may find deals on full-size, intermediate, and even luxury rentals by pre-booking online. Even when travellers pre-book there are some items needed at vehicle pick- up. The necessary rental items are below.
- Must be 21 or older
- Drivers between 21 and 25 are subject to a young driver surcharge, which varies by company.
- Rental confirmation
- A British or international driver's licence
- Another form of identification, such as a passport (driver's licence is not sufficient)
- A credit card in the driver's name
- Any other documents specified at booking
Important Information for Rental Car Drivers
Traffic in Stansted is fairly light, but travellers wanting to go to London are likely to meet traffic ques during rush hour. Additionally, there are congestion charges in parts of London. Information about these charges and other important information is below.
- International driver's licences are good for 12 months.
- Drivers must wear a seatbelt.
- There is a congestion charge Monday through Friday from 07:00 to 18:00 in certain parts of London marked on signs with a large letter "C" in a red circle. The charge is £11.50 (CA$18.87) on the day of driving and £14 (CA$22.97) on the following day, and drivers can pay online.
- The speed limits are 48 kph in urban areas, 97 kph on single lane roads, 113 kph on two-lane roads, and 113 kph on highways.
Must-See Sites in London
There are many famous sites in the area. Below is a list of notable places travellers should check out.
- House on the Hill Toy Museum is a whole museum dedicated to toys. There are thousands of iconic children's toys, a Norman settlement, and a gift shop. The museum is a 10 min (7.2 km) drive from London Stansted Airport via Long Border Rd.
- Easton Lodge, a Victorian Gothic style home from the Tudor Era, is a 13 min (6.9 km) drive from the airport. Guests can enjoy the lush historical gardens or enjoy a cup of tea in the tea pavilion.
- Hatfield Forest is a Site of Special Scientific Interest in Essex with trees that are more than a thousand years old. The site is a short 8 min (5.3 km) drive from London Stansted Airport and offers visitors a peaceful view of natural history.
The list above names only a few of dozens of tourist sites in the area. With a rental, tourists are able to see many more of the sites. So, renting a car via Skyscanner is a great way to make the most of an arrival at London Stansted Airport.