Heathrow International Airport is the largest international airport in Europe and the third largest in the world. Arriving in London is an exciting experience, as there is so much to do in the capital of the United Kingdom. Luckily, the large facility at Heathrow has plenty of rental car options.
Cheap Economy and Luxury Car Rentals in Heathrow Airport
Whether travellers are looking for a sports car or passenger van, Heathrow Airport is an easy place to rent a vehicle. The companies at Heathrow have many vehicles to choose from, including economy, full-size, premium, and luxury models. Rental car desks are in the arrivals section. Below is a list of the rental pick-up/drop-off locations.
- AVIS — Pick-up is at terminals 2 and 5. Shuttle service is available to and from the base station.
- Europcar — Pick-up is at terminal 3, with free shuttle service.
- Budget — Pick-up/drop-off is at terminal 5, with free shuttle service.
- Hertz, Enterprise, National, Alamo, and Sixt — Free shuttle service is available.
Renters must have critical documents when renting a vehicle. Bringing all required documentation makes the process quicker and easier. The required items for renting a car in London are below.
- Rental confirmation
- A British or international driver's licence
- A second identification
- A credit card in the driver's name
- Additional documents specified at booking
- Drivers must be 21 or older
Important Information for Rental Drivers in London
Using a rental vehicle to get around London is a fine idea. However, there are some important things to note. The streets are hectic and crowded during certain times of the day. The items below will help tourists plan for driving in the fast-paced capital.
- International driver's licences are good for 12 months.
- Drivers must wear a seatbelt.
- There is a Congestion Charge Monday through Friday from 07:00 to 18:00 in certain parts of London. They are marked on signs with a large letter "C" in a red circle. The charge is £11.50 (CA$18.87) on the day of driving or £14 (CA$22.97) on the following day, and drivers can pay online.
- Speed limits are 48 km/h in urban areas, 97 km/h on single lane roads, 113 km/h on two-lane roads, and 113 km/h on highways.
Places to Go in London
London is a beautiful, iconic city. Renting a vehicle in London helps tourists make the most of their stay. All travellers to the "City of Saints" should visit the landmark sites below.
- Stonehenge is a major tourist destination. The prehistoric monument, made of stones each weighing around 25 tons, is 1 hour, 40 minutes (113.5 km) from Heathrow via M3 and A303.
- St. Paul's Cathedral sits on the highest point in London, and until 1967, it was the tallest building in the city. It is a 55-minute (36.5-km) drive from the airport via M4.
- The London Eye is a giant Ferris wheel with 32 capsules each holding two to 15 people. Private capsules are reserved for special events. The Coca Cola London Eye is a one-hour (57.1-km) drive from the airport via M25 and A3.
Skyscanner is the easiest way to save money on a trip to London. Download the Skyscanner app to help find the best deals on flights, hotels, and car rentals in London.