Cape Town International Airport is the third largest and most award-winning airport in Africa. The airport is in Capetown, the home of the prison-turned-museum where Nelson Mandela was once held. Renting a car from the airport is a great way to explore the city, museums, and the many tourist hot spots in the area.
Cheap Mini or Affordable Luxury Rental Cars in Cape Town
There are many affordable rental car options at Cape Town International Airport. Travellers can choose from sports cars for a thrilling couples trip or full-size SUVs to haul the family. Rates are competitive with other tourist destinations around the world, but the most affordable options are usually the mini or economy rentals.
No matter what vehicle travellers are interested in, using Skyscanner to book a rental is a great way to make sure the desired vehicle is available upon arrival. Additionally, bringing the documents below will make the process as quick and easy as possible:
- A driver's licence in English or an international driver's permit (IDP)
- A passport
- A credit card in the driver's name
- Driver's licences, IDP, and passports of additional drivers
- Any other documents requested during the booking process
In addition to bringing the documents above, drivers should become familiar with rental car policies. Each company has different policies for refueling, one-way rentals, pick-up/drop-off locations, tolls, insurance, and minimum age requirements for drivers. Knowing the policies helps travellers make sure the rental experience is smooth.
Rules of the Road in Cape Town
Driving in Cape Town is relatively easy in comparison with other tourist destinations. The roads are generally in good condition and traffic is not as bad as other places around the world. Nevertheless, there are some important things drivers should note below:
- All vehicle occupants must wear seat belts.
- Flashing red lights are like four-way stops.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Watch for pedestrians.
- Watch for motor bikes and scooters weaving in and out of traffic.
- Driving is on the left side of the road.
- Cars overtake on the right.
Places to Visit Around Capetown
There are so many places to see in the coastal city of Cape Town. The city is home to many museums, gardens, mountains with incredible vantage points, and more. Below is a list of a few of the hot tourist attractions in Cape Town:
- Iziko South African Museum offers visitors an opportunity to see fossils, animals, and tools from the area. The natural history and science museum is 22 minutes (20.6 km) from the airport via N2.
- Table Mountain Cableway is an exceptional way for visitors to experience the beauty of South Africa. The thrilling cableway is 31 minutes (24.5 km) from Cape Town International Airport.
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden is at the base of Table Mountain. The nature reserve for rare plants offers walking trails and unique views and is a 21 minute (20.2 km) drive via Settlers Way from the airport.
Traveling by car is the fastest way to reach the sites above and dozens of other memorable sites in the area. Renting a car at the airport is safe, easy, and affordable. Tourists wanting to make the most of a trip to Cape Town will appreciate picking up a vehicle from Cape Town International Airport.