Athens, Greece is the birthplace of the Olympic and Democracy. With famous sites like the Acropolis of Athens located 42 minutes from Athens International Airport, renting a vehicle is necessary for an amazing adventure in Athens. Below are tips for getting the best deal and most out of a rental.
Cheap Luxury Car Rentals from Athens International Airport
Renting a car at Athens Airport is an easy and rewarding experience. Advance booking with a site like Skyscanner.ca is advised. Visitors can find the rental centre offices at arrivals in the main terminal. The five international brands servicing the airport are below.
Travellers often look for a mini or economy rental thinking those are the most affordable options. Typically, that is true. However, renters are wise to check full-size and premium rental rates as well. Often a larger rental is just as affordable. All of the companies above offer many vehicles, rental terms, and pick up and drop off options.
Important Information for Driving in Athens, Greece
When renting a car in Athens renters need to bring proper documentation including the rental confirmation, a Greek (1+ years old), European (1+ years old), or International Driver's License (1+ days old), a credit card in main driver's name, insurance, and other documents indicated during booking. Drivers should check with rental companies on the policies below, as well.
- Pick up and drop off
- Additional drivers
- Fuel refill
The fuel refill policy for most companies requires renters to return vehicles with an equal fuel level. There are not many fuel options near the airport. Below are two of the closest. Carrying cash is also advised, as many fuel stations in Greece do not accept credit.
- Shell, Attiki Odos and Motorway 62 Spata Artemida 190 04 - 4 min
- BP, Kon / new Karamanli 28, Artemis 190 16 - 26 min
In addition to rental policies, tourists need to know the following items when driving in the area:
- Speed limits are 100-120 kph on highways and 50 kph on residential streets unless otherwise posted.
- Parking is extremely limited in the downtown area. Paid parking garages or hotels with on-site parking are the most secure options.
- Toll roads are almost unavoidable in the area.
- Driving in the many mountains at night is dangerous for inexperienced motorists.
- Traffic is extremely bad during rush hour between 07:00 and 09:00 and from 16:00 to 18:00.
Attractions Near Athens International Airport
Athens has so much to offer visitors. From ancient ruins to engineering marvels, the Greek city has it all. Below are a few of the must-see places in the area.
- Parthenon, a temple dedicated to Athena dating back to 447 B.C., is 40 minutes from the airport via the toll road.
- The Acropolis Museum celebrates the vast archeological findings from the Acropolis of Athens and is a 36-minute car ride from Athens International.
- The Temple of Olympian Zeus, a former temple at the centre of Athens, Greece, is just 36.2 km from the airport and takes about 35 minutes by car.
These are just a few of the many great sites to visit in the area. Renting a car from Athens International Airport and following these tips can help travellers see all the sites in the ancient Olympic city.